Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Quick Up-date

I just wanted to give a quick up-date on my Dad and Brother...

They both had surgery last Tuesday. My dad's surgery lasted 9 HOURS. It was the longest 9 hours of my mom's life! They put plates, pins, and screws in both my dad's ankles so hopefully support the bones so they will heal back properly. They then put titanium plates and screws on his pelvis to hold it in place. As for now no more surgeries, but in the future when he is able to put weight on them he may have to have another.

My brothers surgery lasted about 3 hours. They put plates, pins, and screws also in his ankle. He was able to go home on Wednesday. In fact I went up to the hospital Wednesday morning to pick up my mom (she ended up staying the night with my dad) and I decided to go to Bronson's room first. I knocked on the door and Megan (Bronson's wife) opened it up and there was Brons in a wheelchair dressed and ready to go. He told the nurse he wanted out of there as soon as possible. He had a date with the Direct TV guy, who was moving his service for free to Meg's parents house since that is where they will be living for the time being. Meg's parents basement is wheelchairs accessible.

Brons has been feeling okay since. Managing the pain has been the biggest hurdle for both of them. They seem to have cycles similar to each other. One day they are good and next day not so much. Bronson will have to stay off his foot for 3 months. He has the option of wheelchair or crutches. He gets really warn out with the crutches so he has been using them as little as possible. I am sure with time he will be all over the place with them:)

My dad is still in the hospital. He is working with a physical therapist who is teaching him how to get around with his wheelchair. My dad cannot put any weight on his legs so he is having to learn how to get in and out of a wheelchair with his upper body. Thank goodness he is a tuff stud how has great upper body strength. Thanks to his 30+ years caring plywood. We were able to take the kiddos up to see him on Friday. We met him in a waiting area. His physical therapist made him get into his wheelchair all by himself then my grandma wheeled him to see us. It was great seeing him out of his bed, but he was completely warn out. He stayed with us for a few minutes. Enough time to give each kid "knuckles" and he even ate a cup of popcorn with us. Then he went back to his room. He knew he still had to get himself back in his bed.

Saturday morning we packed up the jeep and headed back up to the hospital to see Grandpa one last time before we headed back to Nebraska. He seemed to be having a great morning. (Luckily we came before he had physical therapy so he wasn't warn out.) He shared some goodies with the kids. The kids had made some valentines for Grandpa that were displayed on the wall which made the kiddos very happy. Then we all said our goodbyes.

Leaving has been one of the hardest thing for me to do. I have always been okay with living away from my family. It has been a really good thing for Ty and I. We have been able to figure out how we want our own family, but this time it was hard.

It was hard leaving my dad while he was still in the hospital. It was hard leaving my mom who has been so strong through this, but her life has really changed. She is having to figure things out for them. They had to have their bathroom completely remodeled to make it wheelchair accessible and she kept saying your dad would just come right in her and say this is the best way for it to be and it would be done. She had to make the phone calls to everyone to get the work done. Its hard to live away when you know you could help your own family if you lived close. It's just not fun right now:(

3 comments:

Ashley said...

I'm sorry to hear about all this! I'm glad things are on the mend though. It must be hard to be so far away. I hope you can make it to see them again soon. Miss you!

janabigelow said...

Sorry you are so far from them right now. It sucks. Let me know if you ever need anything!

brigee said...

time for a new update sister!! (: love you (: