Thursday, February 2, 2012

Blessings....

As many of you know my dad and brother where in a construction accident on Tuesday afternoon so I thought I would just let you know what happened and how they are doing...

They where framing a house in my parents neighborhood. They where sheeting (covering trusses with plywood) the roof of a deck about 30 feet up on the house and it collapsed. They have since found out that one on the braces on the bottom of the deck gave and the whole deck began to twist and fall. My dad was working above Bronson and Bronson said all the sudden he saw my dad go past him and that is when he realized that he was falling.

As my dad was falling he said he was falling head first and then felt literal hand push him up so he landed feet first. Bronson also ended landing on his feet. Bronson began yelling for their other employee, Grady Jeppeson, came around the back of the house where they were. He immediately called 911 and then took a truss that fell on my dad off of him. He then gave them both a Priesthood blessing.

My mom was at home working in her hair shop and she heard the sirens and kind of panicked, but then they stopped so she didn't think anything more of it she figured they just passed down the road. Then another neighbor pulled in the driveway and was walking up to the front door, but my mom yelled out for her to say she was in her shop. Peggy (the neighbor) said no you need to come with me. My mom knew something was wrong.

She got to the job sight and was able to ride up with my dad. My Sister-in-law Megan was in St. George working so they called her and she immediately got a flight home.

Both my dad and brother were conscious through this whole thing and have been able to give all details of what happened.

There were taken to McKay Dee Hospital where they learned that Bronson had shattered his left ankle and broken his back. My Dad shattered both ankles, broke his back, and broke his pelvis. The tried to operate on both of their ankles but both my dad and Bronson had such bad swelling they stabilized their legs and they will both have surgery on Tuesday to try and repair them. As of right now they will not need to have back surgery they will both be sporting some back braces. My dad will have to have surgery on his pelvis. They will put titanium plates on the front and back to hold the pelvis together.

In the ER the Doctors and nurses kept telling my family that when they are treating people who have fallen off roofs there is head trauma or paralysis never lower body injuries. They kept reminding them that it is a miracle.

They released Bronson from the hospital yesterday, but he will have to go back on Tuesday for surgery. My dad is still in the hospital. They have told him that he will not be able to put weight on his legs for 3 months and will not be able to walk for 6 months.

When my Sister Bree Anne, who lives in Chicago, and I found out we immediately started to figure out how we were going to get to Utah. Ty was able to go into work and get time off so we left Nebraska that night at 7:00 P.M. and arrived in Utah the next day. My Sister also arrived on the next day. She is an RN so she was going to take care of the hospital stuff and I am a professional homemaker so I take care of the house and kids:)

We have witnessed so many acts of Christlike service. The house they are working on the next day the sight was cleaned up and another construction crew, who my dad said he has only shaken their hand before, had already re-built the deck and roof. So many people have been at the house donating their time to finish the house for my dad. My dad and Bronson have been so overwhelmed with emotions when they find out how many people are their helping. Every morning the street is lined with trucks and trailers. Men from their Ward have been going over and just carrying wood into the house for the construction workers. One of them who is a retired electrician told me that even old electrician's know how to carry a piece of wood. Tomorrow a group of scouts are going to the sight to clean it up. A friend of my Dad's came up to the hospital yesterday and is making sure his other projects are running. He told him that he just wants to help STEVEN BARKER CONSTRUCTION INC keep running until my dad is able to take over again. It has just been an out pouring of love!!

We are so grateful for the many wonderful friends and family who have been helping through this. THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!

10 comments:

Tiffany said...

It is so good to hear such wonderful blessings and news coming your way. We've been praying for you and your family every night since I talked to you. Glad to hear the news!

Tera said...

What an incredible event! I am so happy you were able to be where you were needed, and for the angels watching over your dad and brother! You are all in our thoughts and prayers!!

Coles Fam said...

Brindee, I've been thinking about you and then I read this. I'm so glad you got to go help in Utah. What a blessing to see people step up and help. I hope things go well for your brother and dad in surgery tomorrow.

janabigelow said...

I hope all goes well with the surgeries. Please let me know if there is anything I can do. I have been thinking about you a lot!

Julianne said...

HOLY COW. OK, Jana just told me to go read your blog...so I'm late, but I hope that surgeries went well. How amazing about your dad feeling someone pushing him to land on his feet. That is incredible. We will be thinking of you all.

J&J Binghameez said...

Brindee, I am so sorry to hear this. My mom called me last night and my heart dropped. I think about you and your family often. There are no questions as to why so many people are helping your family. They are so wonderful,and they are constantly helping others. I will keep your family in my prayers. I wish I could be in Utah to see you and help your family. Your family is blessed to have you and BreAnne stop and be able to go and be strong shoulders to keep things running well.

Becky said...

how scary! I'm so glad everything turned out okay. I'll keep them in my prayers for a speedy recovery!

The Stanger Fam said...

I am so glad that they are going to be ok. Thank you for taking the time to visit with us while you were here to be with your family, it meant a lot. You and your family are amazing. I will be praying that your dad and brother recover quickly and completely!

Adam and Ashley said...

Brindee, Adam told me about the accident the other day. I am so sorry. After putting two and two together I realized your dad was on the unit I work on (was he in 2204). I hope all continues to go well. I'm sorry I didn't get to see you when you all went to dinner. I'm glad to see you have a lot of support.

Maghann said...

Wow!!! That is such a blessing that they made it out okay. I'm sad that they had to endure any such injuries but at least they had someone watching over them and that they will be okay.